Digital Relaxing Stations

 Digital Relaxing Stations 

By: Samantha Wilkinson-OIT


Chill Island. Calm Zone. Rest Stop. Cool Down Station. Peace Place. Reflection Room. Comfy Corner…


Whatever you call your area, I think we can agree that it is a necessary spot in the classroom. Even more so these days, as we are still working on helping kids develop appropriate social responses to handle the stresses and overstimulation that happens during the school day. 


For many learners, having a few minutes to be alone, or escape, can make a world of difference in classroom performance and de-escalation. For other students, just knowing that a safe place exists is a comfort. This special place in the classroom sends the message that the teacher cares about the students’ mental wellbeing, and understands that everyone needs some personal time, even in the midst of a busy school day. It promotes mindfulness and addresses the needs of the whole-child. It provides a refuge in a world that can seem overwhelming.



When I set up my first calming corner, I was sure to include some sensory fidgets, a notepad to write or draw on, headphones to cancel noise, and some very relaxing images of nature and baby animals. Quickly I found out that I also needed a sand timer so that students could know when to come back to join instruction.


Initially a lot of kids were interested and wanted to play for a few minutes, not really needing to go there, but curious about it. After that, sometimes I was the one that asked a student to take a break at the calming corner when I thought it was needed. Some days I had requests to visit our calming corner, but it wasn’t distracting or abused. It was just nice to know that area was there- for me and students.


After Covid hit, and we had to digitize for online instruction, I knew I would need a virtual version of this space. There were times that frustrations while in class resulted in kids just closing our class Google meet, or walking away from the screen completely. So my virtual calm down corner was born. I started basic, by just creating a Google slidedeck of breathing strategy videos from YouTube and posted it in my Google Classroom. Over the year, I added resources. It was accessed frequently. 



I know what you are thinking: “Covid is over, why does everything have to be online?” “Isn’t the computer overstimulating?” “Shouldn’t they be taking a break and thinking about their actions?” And you are absolutely right. But imagine these scenarios:


~ A 10th grader, who doesn’t like to draw attention to themselves, is having trouble with classwork and needs a break but doesn’t want to leave their desk. 


~ An entire 1st grade class bursts into the classroom after field day, energy is palpable as they argue over the competitions. They ALL need a quiet break time.


~ A middle schooler, who travels to multiple classrooms, needs a quiet cool down, but this particular room doesn’t have that area. This makes them even more upset.


~ At home, where mom and dad are unpredictable, a 3rd grader just wants a place they can go to escape and let their mind wander for a bit. They really wish there was a chill island at home.


Incorporating technology, as an OPTION for a relaxation station, just makes sense. Should you still have your physical calm down space? Absolutely! But having a digital version gives kids a choice in how and where they use the break. Below are some resources to get you started. Please be sure to share with us if you decide to create your own!


* Always be sure to review resources thoroughly and check links to decide what is appropriate for your students.


Nature Room Slides by Gail Feix 


Virtual Calming Website by Sacramento City Unified School District


Relaxation Choice Slidedeck by Katelyn Meredith


Create your own Virtual Room Tutorial


Breathing & Mindfulness


Visualization Strategies


Positive Affirmations


Wixie Coloring Pages


Sensory Sand Timer


Candle Timer


Digital Timer


How do you get this to students? Post in Brightspace under Content or create a custom widget on your homepage!






Popular Posts

Book Studies in Brightspace

Computational Thinking: Its really not that scary!

Who to Follow on Social Media