Power of Podcasting: A Sonic Sensation for Students
By: Samantha Wilkinson, Office of Instructional Technology
I think it is fair to say that I’m a big fan of podcasts- digital audio files, typically in a series, which can be streamed or downloaded from the internet. At any given moment, I have no less than 3 podcasts on rotation while I’m in my car, going for a walk, or even when cleaning my house. It's gotten to the point that I’m beginning to think my favorite podcast hosts are actually my friends in real life. The intimate details that they share weekly make me feel a connection to them that I can’t deny.
So that got me wondering why. What makes podcasts so addicting? For one thing, it is the literary element. The stories I’ve heard in certain podcasts… oh, the stories! I’ve laughed outrageously and sobbed all within a 20-minute episode. If there are multiple voices or characters, the more enthralled I am. To be honest, the narratives I hear when listening to my various pods often launch the most significant conversations I have had with my friends and family over the past year.
Another reason may be because it is a way to learn something, with minimal effort. The Ted Talks I’ve heard from the greatest minds in the world, and people from industries I never knew existed, all while washing dishes, have quite literally changed my life.
Podcasts are easy to find and consume. I just stream them from my phone or computer. You don’t need to give it full attention to still enjoy it. The genres and topics differ drastically in my various podcast choices, but the experience I have after listening is always the same. I’m always left wanting more.
But podcasts have evolved beyond their initial entertainment-focused origins and are now being integrated into the educational landscape. The spoken-word format provides educators with a versatile platform to disseminate information, share insights, and cultivate meaningful connections. Using podcasts is a shift from traditional teaching methods, but in my opinion, an easy way to engage our tech-savvy learners.
Benefits of Using Podcasts in the Classroom:
Accessibility
Podcasts provide a flexible and accessible way for students to consume educational content. Learners can access podcasts via a link at their convenience, even while relaxing at home. This accessibility promotes continuous learning beyond the confines of the traditional classroom. Podcasts cater to students with auditory learning preferences, providing an immersive experience that enhances listening skills and promotes comprehension. When making your own podcast for students, you can tailor your language, cadence, and content to meet the needs of every learner.
Sparks Curiosity
The dynamic and conversational nature of podcasts captivates students' attention in ways traditional lectures may not. Engaging storytelling, interviews with experts, and real-world examples help create a more immersive and enjoyable learning experience. The global perspectives or human capital that is accessible through podcasts allows for broadening of perspectives.
Diverse Content Delivery
Educators can leverage podcasts to deliver content in diverse formats, such as interviews, panel discussions, or narrative storytelling. This variety caters to different learning preferences, ensuring a more inclusive educational experience. Engaging with podcasts cultivates technological fluency among students. Familiarity with digital platforms for accessing educational content and creating their own podcasts prepares students for a technology-driven future.
Ideas on How to Use Podcasts:
Incorporate Student Voices
Encourage students to create their own podcasts or contribute to class episodes. WeVideo is a great tool for this. This not only enhances their communication skills but also provides a platform for diverse perspectives within the educational community. They can read a written piece of work, act out a play, give advice on a researched issue, etc.
Add Interactivity to an Assignment
Create assignments that involve listening to specific podcast episodes and participating in discussions or reflections. This fosters critical thinking and allows students to apply what they have learned in real-world contexts. Discovery Education and YouTube have some good options, depending on your students’ grade level.
Create your Own
Record a podcast with important information for your students. Consider a weekly audio wrap-up of topics you covered in class. Invite guest speakers, parents or experts to contribute to your podcast. This not only adds credibility to your content but also exposes students to a broader range of perspectives and insights. Think about how fun a guest reader would be!
I hope you can see the valuable role of podcasts and how you can harness them to benefit your students. For more information on which applications we have to find and create podcasts, reach out to your school’s eCoach or email us OIT@aacps.org.
Finally, a shameless plug: If you have not heard about it, OIT has a podcast! It’s called Apps & Apples and it is available for you to listen to here. While it is not yet on Spotify’s Top Ten, it is pretty interesting if you are into instructional tech. So give it a listen and let us know what you think.