4 Ways to Use Lumio in Tomorrows Lesson

 

By Koralina McKenna, Instructional Technology Teacher Specialist

Game Based Activity - Word Search
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Quick, easy to make, can change difficulty, use in Lumio or print

I don't know how I would have made it through virtual teaching within Lumio's word search! It was such a fun way to get the kids ready for the lesson and an easy transition into "Based on the word list, what do you think we're learning about today?" 

But once we transitioned back into the classroom, I quickly realized that Lumio's word search still had major value - not only could I have students complete it during a lumio lesson, I could also screen snip it and print it out! When students are using the word search on their computers, each student gets a unique search; no peeking at your neighbor's screen for the answers. My students loved to race each other to see who get find them all with the fewer number of hints - this was the perfect time to put in my attendance and set the tone for our lesson.

Response  - Anticipation Guides
⭐⭐⭐⭐ Take a little time, easy to duplicate for closure anticipation guide, supports literacy and student reflection on learning.

I loved using anticipation guides as before / after reading strategies. So when I found out that I could digitize them using the Response feature in Lumio, it became my go too. 

You have to take a little time to type out the questions but you can set the question style to "poll/opinion" for use before reading. This is low stakes with no right/wrong anwser and gives the teacher valuable insight to student thinking. For after reading, duplicate the slide and switch the question type to true/false. Now students will have get feedback on their response being right/wrong and the teacher still gets a valuable and easy to share data for each question. Easily see where your students are still have misconceptions and what they have mastered. 


Convert Page to Activity - Group Workspace
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Simple to convert any existing Google Slide to a collaborative workspace, easy to record audio directions for increased accessibility, link directly to external resources, can have students complete notes in lumio or on paper.

These days I frequently find myself linking to resources, especially in the higher grades, I provide the resource but I want [the student] to read, process and complete a note catcher or graphic organizer with the information provided.

Lumio's Convert Page to Activity simplifies switching from following along with the slides to participating on the slides. Choose the group workspace, allows you to determine the number of students in a group and will randomly sort your students into groups, the teacher can still rearrange students in necessary. *Note: this works for a few changes but if you want very specific groups your going to find this too cumbersome. I really liked that this allowed me to create mini gallery walks among a group of students. You have students work together to chunk the information and then my students would use this activity to complete a note catcher about all the information gathered by their group. The teacher side makes it easy to view and share any groups work for the whole class. Definite winner if you are looking to use collaboration to chunk information. 


Game Based Activity - Speed Up
⭐⭐⭐ 3 stars only because it has a very specific use and takes the most time to create, students will need some direction on how to start but students DO NOT NEED A DEVICE since it runs on your smartboard.    

This game is so fun! It works particularly well for co-taught classrooms, because it allows the teacher to adjust the time for each question and doesn't move on until everyone has answered. The number of questions you create will determine how long the game is but this works well for reviewing past information or studying for an upcoming test. 

I watched a co-taught 6th grade science teacher use this as a station rotation. She had four stations, student rotated in groups of eight. Utilizing her smartboard was key because this activity is meant for everyone to play on one screen. She had the eight students break up into mini teams of two and then those two students alternated answering questions. The mini team had to work together and best of all, this station was completely student led, leaving the teacher to focus on the hands on lab station. 


So now the only question that remains is... 
What are you going to try tomorrow?!

Popular Posts

Book Studies in Brightspace

Computational Thinking: Its really not that scary!

Who to Follow on Social Media