Creating Engaging Morning Announcements with WeVideo
By Dan Fitzgerald, eCoach and STEM Teacher @ North Glen Elementary School
Hello everyone! My name is Daniel Fitzgerald, and I'm the STEM Teacher and E-Coach at North Glen Elementary School. Over the past two years, we've been using WeVideo as a tool to build our morning announcements from a brief, over-the-loudspeaker statement, to a full production with students, staff, and community members getting involved, and our student engagement and excitement has never been higher!
I'm someone who loves making videos for our students and staff, and I've always tried to use that in my teaching and position at the school. I've found that editing software can often be overwhelming, and people who are new to the idea can be turned away by some of the more complex programs out there. Luckily, WeVideo has been so welcoming to teach and jump in on, giving both students and teachers an easy entry point to video creation and editing, yet with deeper opportunities to grow your skills and use more complex tools down the way - such as greenscreen effects, music, and over screen layouts.
One thing that I really appreciate about using WeVideo with our morning announcements is how connected it helps our school feel, and how much we're able to include student voice - especially during a challenging time like last school year. I remember starting last school year and creating video announcements for our classes, not sure how much I could ask from staff and students, but as they started watching every morning, both kids and teachers were reaching out to me about jumping in any way they could. Thanks to WeVideo's ability for collaborative projects and workspaces, soon I had students reporting our school's lunches and announcements daily, jokes of the day, teachers shouting out exceptional student work, and more! Students were so excited to share, I even had some students sending video reports from vacation spots, including pool-side weather reports (which I had to remind a few about keeping their Chromebooks safe and away from the water)! Our announcements also encouraged students to arrive on time in the morning to see themselves and their friends as newscasters and reporters.
With students in person, I can provide them with access to tools they may not have had at home, such as a greenscreen, and a quiet recording location. As we move forward, I'm so excited to be back in the building to continue growing our announcements team and production. To any other school interested in doing this, I highly recommend taking the leap and trying it out!
All AACPS staff and students have WeVideo accounts that are accessible on Classslink.
For more information on using WeVideo for morning announcements:

